Monday, January 23, 2017

Bell Rock and the Chapel of the Holy Cross


Bell Rock is an iconic, natural rock sculpture that greets awestruck visitors as soon as they enter Sedona, Arizona. Natural sculptures are my preferred kind. I guess that's why I covet photography over paintings. You really can't improve on the beauty of nature. And I'm an artist! 




Red Rock Country

The view from the rock. A phrase that can be uttered anywhere you stand in Sedona.


A towering agave. They are pretty sculptural as well. 








Desert critters!




God's got mail!


We visited the chapel of the holy cross after hiking at Bell Rock. All of the main rock sculptures, including: Courthouse, Cathedral, Bell and even the relatively diminutive Rabbit Ears are near the chapel. Evidently, God thought that would be a convenient touch. The chapel is a man made Sedona landmark. However, it does look as if it sprouted magically from the rock.

 I said a prayer here. I also whispered one on the vortex center which is Bell Rock. I could see energy spiraling in front of my unpeeled eyes in the latter. I wonder which prayer will be answered? 



Blooming cacti lined the pilgrimage heading up to the chapel. Truly awe inspiring beauty.


Beautiful!

I'll be blogging about Sedona, Panama, Florida, and Nicaragua in February. 
 My camera was busy in Nicaragua this January. I just got back. I brought home a lot of cherished visual souvenirs. And mental memories. That eventually, I'll share here in 2017. Please stay tuned. 

This week, over on my creative writing blog, there's two things in a bucket. Neither of which are a cat! The Chorus of the Crows



The Awesome Links:


24 comments:

Fun60 said...

That landscape really is beautiful.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Beautiful collection

DUTA said...

I'm always amazed by Mother Nature's wonders such as this Bell Rock shape in Sedona, Arizona.
The photo with the two human shadows is a masterpiece of photography.
And ,of course, no desert scene is complete without the beautiful cacti images.

carol l mckenna said...

Beautiful photography of the desert ~ love the gecko and your little kitty in the bucket ~ thanks ~

Wishing you a peaceful and happy week ~ ^_^

Andrea said...

I have always wanted to experience Sedona, at the most for the vortices, but of course those landscapes are truly incredible especially through your eyes. I laughed at the lizard on the stump, it looks like it is wearing a nice dress with pockets, so beautiful. Thanks for these, as i might not see them at all.

Marcia said...

The blue in the sky makes every photo a masterpiece.

Handmade in Israel said...

How wonderful! The scenery is truly amazing and that chapel a very interesting design. My auntie lives in Prescott, so I have heard mention of Sedona before.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

The landscape is spectactular and I love the 'shadow' shot

mick said...

Magnificent landscapes and I especially like the blooming cactus.

Sue (this n that) said...

Stunning landscapes Sharon. Fantastic to see the cacti in its natural surroundings.
Love the chapel - great architecture. It must have been so great to have been there in person. Looking forward to your other photo memories too :D)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Let me know about the prayer thing .... wonderful pictures; we've never been to Sedona and must go there someday. Beautiful -- we do enjoy the desert -- a real change from the climes where we usually hang out. Looking forward to your travelogs from other places where we've never been.

Ruth said...

What a coincidence! I was looking at my photos of Sedona today. We took similar photos. This area is very beautiful. Would like to go back. #OurWorldTuesday

betty-NZ said...

I can understand why you like photos more than paintings. There is so much beauty on earth, even in the desert. I love all your captures of this beautiful place.

likeschocolate said...

Gorgeous! I love that you captured yourselves in the shadow. Have a great weekend!

arv said...

Great pictures for the Skywatch.You can check mine@ https://jaipurthrumylens.com

https://capturesthrumylens.wordpress.com

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I love all these photos! The desert at its best. Creative shadow shot, too!!

Budget Travel Talk said...

Red soil and rocks are a great background for landscape photography. They add a richness of colour and demand attention.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for finding me! I keep thinking you are on wordpress, so I may have a few times commented from my blog, instead of visiting you - good am not the only one who's searching:)
All my SEASONS posts are on this url: https://artworksfromjeshstg.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/all-seasons-janu…2-roller-coaster
But wordpress put my previous blog (july I moved to the above new blog because I ran out of space) together with my previous one, because I still have the same username - thought they would separate it, but discovered it too late:(
Sorry for the confusion.
This is so serendipitous, I was just working on some paintings from Utah (Bryce Canon and Zion Nat. Park today):) Have a great weekend, Sharon!

Aritha V. said...

In my warm bed I enjoy your beautiful pics. What a Wonderful area. Love the colors, the church an the fact you was praying there. I think He hears you. Love also the animals, the gekko is so cute. The photo with your shadow is perfect. Thanks for sharing. Saterday morning here. Have a Nice day!

Lady Fi said...

Fabulous scenery!

Stewart M said...

I recognise some of these places - which makes a change for posts from the US. Sedona was a beautiful place - but I am not sure about some of the 'spiritual' aspects of the place. I say let natural beauty stand for itself.

Sorry about slow reply - I have been in New Zealand and blogging has taken a bit of a back seat.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What gorgeous desert pictures!

Jim said...

Beautiful photography! There's nothing like the desert in bloom. Just gorgeous!

Pat Tillett said...

Beautiful photos Sharon! That includes the one in your header.